Many of us with elderly parents know how fiercely they protect their ability to live independently, even if their health is declining. According to a research report by the National Conference of State Legislatures and the AARP Public Policy Institute, up to 90% of people over age 65 want to stay living in their home as long as it is possible.
Families support this desire of their elderly loved ones. Staying in their home and feeling connected to their community helps them maintain a positive outlook and live longer. But at some point it becomes challenging for the family members to support the growing needs of their aging loved ones. And everyone dreads the discussion of a nursing home or assistant living facility. After all, it often implies an emotionally heavy time period and a sense of loss on the part of the aging parents. It’s something that one can never fully adjust to.
Many families do not know that this can be avoided and that they have a better option in their arsenal – a 24/7 home care assistance where 1 or 2 caregivers would support the elderly parent still in the familiarity of their home. This option removes the unnecessary stress of changing the environment for the parents and, on top of that, gives them a better one-on-one care than many facilities can provide.
We at the North Oakland Caregivers see how the 24/7 home care option becomes a welcome choice for many families who have not even thought of it at the beginning. We see how our elderly clients bond with the caregivers and their families gain peace of mind that their parents will be taken care of around the clock. We have given this kind of experience to many of our clients and we are happy to help your family too. Call us to start the conversation. We are happy to answer any of your questions to help you explore your options!
When it comes to the decision of starting a home care support for your loved ones, people want to be sure they choose the right provider.
What defines the “right” provider might be slightly different for different families. Businesses are not created equal, even in the same sphere of home care services, every business tries to stand for something they do best. We at North Oakland Caregivers have our own set of strengths. They are not generated by our staff, they are called out by our clients. They are what our clients noticed and valued when they were looking for the “right” home care for their families.
So, how did they search, and what made them choose us? We asked that question to our customers in order to understand what stood out for them in our business, what they found most persuasive in our profile. And their answers were consistent, they kept giving us three key reasons:
- Our experience of 25+ years makes us experts
- 25+ years of home care experience means we have withstood the test of time and are not going anywhere
- It also means we have gathered great expertise in the field of home care and in understanding of what seniors and their families look for
- We are a local business connected to our community
- We grew up in this area, know and understand the local community and use our knowledge for the benefit of our clients. For example, if bad weather is coming, we know and plan ahead.
- We offer a face-to-face communication. In the age of virtual offices,phone calls might be perceived as too generic and anonymous. It’s reassuring for our clients that they can come to our office and discuss their situation in a much more personable environment.
- We have amazing 5-star reviews
- We are proud to have 5-star reviews in Google, Facebook and our website. We consider this our best recommendation as the words of appreciation are coming directly from our clients’ experience.
- These outstanding reviews are testimony to our human touch that comes from our hearts, not our duties. We know all our clients personally, we call them to just ask how they are doing, we stop by when we can. We like it when it feels like a family.
These three reasons are our strengths we are proud of. Something that our clients experienced and appreciated to trust us with their families. It’s a reputation we’ve built, and now are working hard to maintain and improve. Will you trust us with your loved ones? We hope to be the “right” home care provider for you, too.
Lance Baylis, North Oakland Caregivers’ President, with his mother, Maria Baylis
May is the special time of year when we celebrate the most important person in our lives, the person who gave us life, love and the entire world. What she has done for us is hard to top. So, how to best say we love her? What would be the perfect way to express our gratitude? How to show care to the best caregiver of the world?
We ask these questions every year, and there are some traditional ways that we choose – recent trends* show that:
- Almost all of us buy a greeting card – 78%
- Fewer, but still the majority, buy flowers – 67%
- Half of us organize a special outing – 55%
- Many prefer to give her a freedom to choose a gift with a gift card – 43%
- Third of us selects clothing items or jewelry – 35% each
They are all precious and special gifts. After all, we want the best for our Mom! However, what she will remember most would probably be something that is not material at all – how we made her feel. This may not be new but it is always magical.
So, go ahead and – along with the card and the flowers – give your Mom a reason to laugh, spend time reminiscing together, relive the moments of your family’s life, make more memories!
“I will have my Mom over and grill up a storm,” says North Oakland Caregivers’ President, Lance Baylis. “I want her to have a great day surrounded by the family.”
*Source: National Retail Federation, 2016
Many families are entering the New Year with resolutions on their mind. It just seems easier to create a new habit, make a big change for the better, reinvent yourself at the beginning of a new year! So many people will use January as an inspiration to start something significant, something that will make a lasting impact on their lives. But this may also be the right time to make a lasting impact on the life of your elderly family member. We mean making a step towards planning for the future of your older mom or dad who may need assistance in their activities of daily living.
The idea may feel daunting at the beginning, like many changes do. We know some seniors may not be immediately open to the idea of having a caregiver coming into their home to help them. Great long-term benefits can be overshadowed by a perceived fear of loss of independence or a temporary anxiety of having a “stranger” in the house. Seniors can respond with resistance in many different ways. Frankly, family members might have their own concerns about how this new arrangement might work.
We understand. Every change requires an adjustment. Our experience has shown that slowly easing into this new “caregiver” scenario is often all it takes to relieve the concerns of starting a home care routine for your senior loved one. Maybe having a caregiver come into their home once or twice a week just to give them an idea of what it’s all about might help alleviate their anxiety. Maybe one 8 hour day a week will do the trick. Maybe 4 hours a day, 2-3 days a week will help set a comfort level. The key is starting small and adjusting to what the future needs will be.
Having a senior home care provider that is flexible enough to allow time to find the perfect routine for your senior loved one is a great solution. North Oakland Caregivers at Clarkston, MI, has been doing it for 26 years. We are waiting for your call. Are you ready to make the first step towards the New Year’s resolution that will make a lasting impact on the future of your family?
A local company or a franchise? What to choose when selecting senior home care for your loved ones? Here are three reasons that prompt people like you to prefer a locally based and owned business:
- A recent study showed that when people do business with local companies, 58% more of the money spent ends up staying in the city as opposed to money spent on other businesses. Making socially responsible choices and helping local communities is a reason that people consider when choosing any local business regardless of industry specifics.
- Another reason is knowing the people behind the business – the employees, the managers and the owners. This lends itself to a natural connection not usually enjoyed when dealing with non-locally owned businesses. This consideration becomes especially important when we are making decisions related to the health and well-being of our family members, – franchises’ impersonal ways may leave us underwhelmed, while a local home care company run by people who are part of the same community will help us feeling reassured and in control.
- However, perhaps the biggest advantage to dealing with a locally owned and based senior home care company is the opportunity for greater customer service. We have all experienced calling a business only to be put on hold or eventually speaking with a person that gives you a standard script for an answer and has no direct communication with the decision maker. With a senior home care company that is truly local we can count on expedited service and a much more personal approach. The owner has a high probability of being directly connected to every employee. Questions or concerns are dealt with in a matter of hours. And in case of any home care related issues that require a personal presence, knowing the company’s home office and management are located right down the road can provide great peace of mind.
North Oakland Caregivers is a great example of the above advantages of a local senior home care company at their best: The owner was born and raised in Oakland County of Michigan and lives in the local area. His 35 years of experience in senior home care management make him a key industry expert in the area. The company has been located in the city of Clarkston, Michigan, since its foundation, in the same building now beautifully renovated and conveniently situated on the corner of M-15 and I-75. Call us at (248) 625-8484 and let us provide your family with professional but personable senior home care that only a local business can offer.
Exactly 5 months ago, after 25 years of providing senior home care, we unveiled our Facebook page, and our supporters’ circle has been growing ever since. This past weekend we celebrated our first milestone – the first 100 Facebook likes!
We are grateful for all the wonderful comments and cheering from those who know us and our senior home care business in Clarkston, MI, all the extremely positive reviews from our clients, caregivers and co-workers and all the interest from those who are looking for a caregiver career!
We are inspired by your encouragement and looking forward to more! Thank you, friends!